Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First Look at the Main Event of UFC 124! (TUF, and Travis Rael)


Lets do this.

GSP will defend his title against dark horse Josh Koscheck at UFC 124 at the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec Canada.


                                            The Crowd is already going wild. Seriously.

Let's take a look at the advantages of this fight.

Striking:

Both of these fighters have outstanding striking. Though primarily ground based, it's a known fact that when two wrestlers compete, you'll end up seeing a fist fight.  GSP is a black belt in Kyokushin Karate, which, is no joke.  Koscheck trains at AKA, home of newly crowned heavy weight champ, Cain Velasquez. In fact, two of his last four victories have come by way of TKO. However, he also has been caught by a jiu jitsu fighter, Paulo Thiago. Unimpressive, sir. Paulo Thiago was more surprised than anyone I think when he uppercutted Kos into next week.


                                                 Fork over that lunch money, Joshua.

St. Pierre however, hasn't had his clock cleaned since Matt Serra messed him up. He also avoided the heavy hands of always-mean Dan Hardy.


                  Nope. GSP never felt the wrath of a mohawked Brit quite like The Irish Hand Grenade

Who knows? Maybe GSP will be caught. The last time I gave the striking advantage to the challenger, that's what he relied on. I won't jinx my hero. (No homo, GSP is my hero. In fact, after Jose and Curtis teach me to beat people up more and more, and whomever I train with in the future; hopefully one day I can fight him.) Anyway, with GSP being a black belt, training with Muay Thai people and Phil Nurse as his kick boxing coach, I have to give him the nod. Kos is good, GSP is great.

Advantage: GSP

Wrestling and Ground Game:

Both of these fighters are outstanding wrestlers. In their first fight, GSP was taken down numerous times by Kos' Division I abilities. GSP has shown his mettle in this department against Jon Fitch, BJ Penn, Thiago Alves, and Dan Hardy. It isn't really clear who has the advantage here.

The champion has never wrestled officially, not in high school, not in college. Our challenger however has,  and he did it well. But that was then, this is now. I can't say for sure who is better at passing, working, and takedowns. It's a really tough call, so tough in fact, I have to say that their wrestling is about the same.

However, this isn't a wrestling match, this is MMA. Duh. On the ground, GSP thrives. Strikes on the ground and he has shown extreme skill in submissions, in his last title defense, he basically would have ended anyone with that armbar, or the kimura. Dan Hardy is just tough as woodpecker lips. Koscheck has rear naked choked a few people. However, it's an unreliable statistic. If Koscheck takes it to the ground, chances are GSP's BJJ black belt and his champ status will negate any sort of submission Kos will throw his way. With the clear advantage in ground fighting, I have to give this department to the champion.

Advantage: GSP


Size and Cardio

Again, another really close subject. GSP and Kos have each been featured in workout magazines, been put on youtube, and have dedicated their life to athleticism. They each walk around not very heavy, and don't have much of a cut to 170 lbs. GSP has a slight reach advantage, at 76 inches to Kos 73. Reach doesn't mean much, Matt Serra is a midget and managed to KO the champion way back in the day though. It's pretty obvious what has to happen here...

Advantage: TIE

My outlook is GSP has the advantage in fighting, but athletically and size wise Koscheck is a good match. I also have to say it; the hometown crowd is GSP's.  I don't know why Dana White would do this to Koscheck, as GSP's back will be against the wall fighting in front of his Canadian homies. They should have fought in Mandalay Bay or MGM Grand Garden, but hey, I'm not a UFC promoter, I'm just a fan and hopeful. In any case, GSP will have the crowd rallying behind him, and even though Koscheck is determined, maybe even convinced, GSP is once again nervous and will one way or the other come out on top.

My call...

GSP by TKO in the 3rd, or Unanimous Decision, but more than likely, TKO in the 3rd.




Here is a picture of what I'll be doing during the fight so no one will think I'm a curse, because...you know, Brock Lesnar and all.

Next order of business...

The Ultimate Fighter!

Nam Phan vs. Michael Johnson

It's gonna come down to who woke up on the right side of the bed. Phan is a body-shot king, with impressive cardio and the will to win. Michael Johnson is a gifted athlete (..you know what? I think that's pretty messed up, the only dark black person in the house this season, and he's been called "the athletic one" by the show and by fans. Seriously, America. Get it together, this isn't 1963) and his stand up is good to go. However, I'm a damn Nam Phan Fan and I'm gonna say Nam walks away with this one. Sorry Mike!

Jonathan Brookins vs Kyle Watson

I'm not quite sure that Kyle Watsons match ups have been against the tougher fighters in the house, as his only real challenge might have been that British guy everyone forgot about already (you know...the Wild Card fighter that Michael Johnson beat earlier in the season). These guys have been choking people out all day, and they're team mates. Jonathan has the clear experience advantage (dude fought in the WEC against Jose Aldo. JOSE ALDO, the Brazilian GSP pretty much). I'm gonna have to say Brookins slides into home this week and makes it to the finals against Nam Phan.


Last but not least, in totally unofficial, non-professional, nobody knows this guy fashion, my training partner and when I make it, team mate, Travis Rael was successful in his amateur debut. Congrats on the third round TKO man! My first steps in MMA were much less successful, as I was on the receiving end, but then again...I didn't have our coaches in Japan. Enough about me, check this out.

Rage in the Cage 146

If the album is private, well, my bad. Travis's facebook is his own, and if I get some feedback on this article, maybe I can message him to make it a public work so you can see him beating the snot out of Riley Booth, with wrestling and ground and pound.

Well friends, Americans, countrymen...I'll probably be blogging again soon, but for now, I have to get back to work...or else! Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment